NHS Patients

Information about Free NHS dental treatment or help with health costs:

You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when the treatment starts, you are:

  • Ages under 18
  • Under 19 and receiving full-time education
  • Pregnant or a mother who has had a baby in the previous 12 months
  • Staying in an NHS hospital and your treatment is carried out by the hospital dentist
  • An NHS Hospital Dental Service outpatient (however, you may have to pay for your dentures or bridges)

You also do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when the treatment starts, or when you are asked to pay you are included in an award of:

  • Income Support
  • Income-relation employment and support allowance
  • Income-based jobseeker's allowance
  • Pension Credit guarantee credit
  • Universal credit (check entitlement after 31st October 2015)


  • You are names on a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate, or you are entitled to and NHS credit exemption certificate
  • You are named on a valid HC2 certificate

You will not be exempt form paying if you receive Incapacity Benefit, contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit savings credit, which paid on their own. Medical conditions do not exempt patients from payment for dental treatment.

You will be asked to show your dentist written proof that you do not have to pay for all or part of your NHS treatment. You will also be asked to sign a form to confirm that you do not have to pay. If your name is on a valid HC3 certificate, you may not have to pay for all of your treatment. Checks are made on free and reduced cost treatment claims. If you say you have the right to free treatment when you do not, you may incur a penalty charge.

What treatments should I expect to be provided under the NHS?

You will be able to have all treatment provided under the NHS that your dentist feels is clinically necessary in order to keep your mouth, teeth and gums healthy, If your dentist says that you need a particular type of treatment, you should not be asked to pay for it privately.

If you are moving to live in another area of the country, you may want to wait until your arrive in the new area before starting treatment. If you are unable to complete a course of treatment that has already been started before you move, speak to your dentist.

The NHS England Area Tea responsible for your new area can help you find another NHS dentist if you are having difficulty.

NHS Dental Charges

The charge you pay depends on the treatment you need to keep you mouth, teeth and gums healthy. You will only ever be asked to pay one charge for each complete course of treatment, even if you need to visit your dentist more than once to finish it - either Band 1, Band 2 or Band 3 (see below).

Band 1 course of treatment - £22.70

This covers an examination, diagnosis (eg X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if needed and application of flouride varnish or fissure sealant. If you require urgent care, even if your urgent treatment needs more than one appointment to complete, you will only need to pay one Band 1 charge.

Band 2 course of treatment - £62.10

This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or if your dentist needs to take out one or more of your teeth.

Band 3 course of treatment - £269.30

This covers an everything in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures and bridges.